![]() |
| Mugler Fall 1995 Couture, Look 1 |
I once joked about a family members' sex life to my friends, but quickly became ashamed at insulting them for being open about it. After stumbling across Thierry Muglers' 1995 Fall Couture, I was reminded of this memory and felt the weight of embarrassment in my stomach.
In the line, there were few mature models, however their clothes and body language spoke more to me than the youthful ones. I had never seen the 'elderly' model, much less move with such...mystique. Their age seemed to heighten their exoticism. Despite my ignorance in the realm of fashion, I felt these women symbolized something deeper outside of the shows' planned storyboard.
What I imagined were these intricate stories interlaced with these beauties: the woman with the black hair, clunky jewelry and ruby speckled cloak felt reminiscent of an underground, sensual ringleader: orchestrating her circus with mauve, sharp charm only characteristic of those who have lived a life of hedonism. The next woman, adorning a more simplistic look, mirrored a flower. On the surface it is clear she displays elegance and confidence; however the sharp contrast of texture and color between the wet latex and cream rose showed there's more to the infamous aging process than people think. Exploration does not halt as one grows older, but instead continues to bloom into each stage of its life effortlessly and serendipitously. The last two women represent, to me at least, a darker, more melancholic acceptance of the final stages of life. The attitude of the third model is undeniably haughty, her noir ensemble delivering the message of her manifesto- indulgence in passion and revenge as a last hurrah. The final model, with her striking royal garments and conservative robes remind me of the red queen in Alice in Wonderland. Shes postured as if she is bracing for the end of an arc, whether it be war or her life, she has no fear heading towards it steadfast.
These women shifted my mindset away from dreading aging. We are subliminally conditioned to fear age and wrinkles as a result of the societal pressures we endure. We expect old people to settle down and wither along with their libido: being boring or staying true to deceased engagements. These women speak volumes through these photos, breaking that mold, a mold I had found myself willingly contributing to when I had made those jokes. Younger women have their own allure, their own beauty, but we celebrate their youth as if its the only good thing about life. Aging is a process that is like wine: the older it is, the more sophisticated the taste. We should celebrate it, instead of disavowing something naturally beautiful.

I’ve never considered this! The older people in my life have that mindset too, that with age comes withering. This is a great perspective!
ReplyDelete